Monday 4 February 2013

Banchory Academy Workshops

I had a super couple of days at Banchory Academy delivering readings and workshops to S4 and S3 pupils. We discussed the origins of Scots/Aberdeenshire Doric and listened to some poetry and prose with a Scottish flavour. Readings included a short story taken from My Favourite Place (published by The Scottish Book in November as part of the Book Week Scotland celebrations). The story, Bella's Kitchen, was written by Simone Sinclair and was greatly appreciated by everyone. The pupils went on to do a bit of creative writing. I asked them to imagine a meeting with their favourite celebrity (who could be real or imagined/dead or alive). 

A few extracts from the creative writing exercise...

..."Aye, min, foo ye deein?"
"Och, nae up te muckle. Foo's yersel?"
"Och, jist busy drivin aa the time."
"Are ye wirkin ilky day?"
"Aye, ye've got nae idea. Foo's yer bairn keepin?"
"She's lookin gey peely-wally. She winna tak her feed."...
Craig Peter, S4


...I wis awa te the shops wi the family fin aa o a sudden a crood o folk were surrounding Billy Connolly.
He made a quick exit awa fae aa the folk and stopped fin he waaked past me and said, "Fit like, min?" My jaw nearly drapped te the fleer fin Billy said aat te me. I replied, "Fit like, Billy, can I hae yer autograph?"
"Aye," he said. He pulled oot a pen and paper fae his pocket, signed it and said, 'Hae a gweed day, pal." He shook my han then left...     Jason, S3

...It wis Monday mornin and it wis ma first day at ma new school.
I wis affa scared because naebody wid understand the wye I spik. I walked te the front door...   Kirsty, S3

...I wis wakkin doon i road on i wye te the chipper te pick up ma denner when I saw that wifey aff the tele - Martha Freewoman. Never in ma life hid I seen a celeb. Fit wis she deein in Torry? I ran past a burnt oot car and a van-nickin by some wee kiddies tae finally reach Martha Freewoman...  Cameron, S4...

Comments from class teachers:

Brilliant presentation to an S4 and S3 class.  Very knowledgeable and enthusiastic, really got the (Sleepy) pupils involved. Very useful for all creative writing exercises. 

'Great recap/introduction to Scots and Doric. Very knowledgeable and full of enthusiasm about the language. At the end of the lesson virtually everyone had written a paragraph in the local dialect. Fantastic!'

 






  

No comments:

Post a Comment